The pay scale for this position is $13.54 to $20.32.
Current job openings that applications can be submitted for can be found by clicking here.
Salary and Benefits
The Fort Smith Police Department offers an exceptional entry-level salary and benefits package. As an employee's career progresses, step raises and opportunities for advancement come into play. Please take a moment to review the benefits outline below. Again, if you have any questions, please contact the FSPD Recruiting Coordinator.
- 10 Days Paid Vacation after the first year
- 96 Hours Sick Leave per year up to 960 hours
- 11 Paid Holidays per year
- Longevity pay
- Necessary Equipment Furnished
- Tuition Assistance for Continuing Education
- Health, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance Package
- Employee's Federal Credit Union
- City-provided Retirement Income Plan
The Downtown Ambassador / Meter Technician, under the supervision of the Patrol Special Operations Sergeant, is responsible for establishing professional relationships with downtown business owners, employees and guests of the City of Fort Smith. The incumbent will serve as an ambassador to our city and proactively engage the public with friendly greetings and provide assistance when needed. The incumbent will routinely meet with downtown partners and assist with resolving nuisance issues. If a nuisance issue requires police assistance, an officer will be called to assist. The Downtown Ambassador will provide visual deterrence to criminal activity and will report any such observed activity to the Police Department via police radio or cellphone. The Downtown Ambassador / Meter Technician will have oversight of parking meter enforcement in the downtown area. The incumbent issues overtime parking citations, performs minor repairs to meters, maintains the meters, reports parking problems, and collects paid ticket money from the collection boxes.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned. Note: All City of Fort Smith positions require the employee to provide good customer service to both internal and external customers, maintain positive and effective working relationships with other City employees, and have regular and reliable attendance that is non-disruptive. Must show cooperation and respect to fellow employees and supervisors at all times.
1. Routinely provide a proactive and friendly face greeting owners, employees and visitors of downtown Fort Smith.
2. Connecting visitors to the downtown area to services, historical locations, attractions and amenities.
3. Regularly monitor downtown activities with emphasis to deter criminal activity and resolve nuisance issues.
4. Report safety concerns such as poor or inoperable lighting to Parks and Recreation, Street Department or appropriate electric company.
5. Report other safety or health issues such as damaged fire hydrants, dangerous structures, traffic obstructions, garbage issues or damaged property through the MyFortSmith app or FSPD app.
6. Regularly attend meetings involving the downtown area such as the Central Business Improvement District, Downtown Business Association and Downtown Restaurant and Bar Association. The City of Fort Smith Fort Smith Police Department Job Description Job Title: Downtown Ambassador / Meter Technician
7. Speaks with community residents and business owners to identify their needs and expectations; involving the police department when warranted, recommends outside resources or other city departments.
8. Issues overtime parking citations.
9. Maintains and performs minor repairs to meters.
10. Reports other parking problems.
11. Retrieves paid ticket money out of the designated boxes.
12. Enforces parking rules and regulations.
13. Addresses parking questions and issues.
14. Other assignments as needed.
15. Regular attendance and timeliness is required.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High School diploma or GED is required.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES
The Downtown Ambassador / Meter Technician must be able to perform all of the duties and functions as defined in the job description for the City of Fort Smith. He / She must have excellent communications skills in both oral and written forms. Organizational skills and close attention to details are required to successfully perform this job. The Downtown Ambassador / Meter Technician must have thorough operational knowledge of the use of a personal computer system, as well as various software packages. The incumbent must also be able to operate a handheld computer. To be successful, the incumbent must possess well-developed social- The City of Fort Smith Fort Smith Police Department Job Description Job Title: Downtown Ambassador / Meter Technician interpersonal skills as needed to interact with persons in a public setting and during an enforcement encounter. Problem-solving skills are required as well. The Downtown Ambassador / Meter Technician must be able to work in extreme weather conditions. The incumbent must possess a valid driver’s license. The incumbent will have access to a Segway for use during daily activities. Training and safety equipment will be required, and will be provided prior to the use of the Segway.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee must occasionally stand, walk, talk and hear. Frequently, use hands to touch, handle or feel and climb or balance. The incumbent must also stoop or crouch. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision. The ability to adjust focus is also necessary. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the ambassador / technician will encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions provided that accommodations comply with the City of Fort Smith's Alternate Duty Policy. Outside working environment, wherein there are disagreeable working conditions part of the time. The noise level in the work environment while within the police department is usually moderate. Outside the police department, the noise level can be loud.